Resurrection Catholic Church
2607 18Th St.
Menominee, MI 49858
Saturday Evening Vigil
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Children’s Ministry FAQ
What Is The Vision, Mission and Values of Children’s Ministry?
Vision – Children will live morally, pray consistently, and grow in their relationship with Christ
Mission – Children’s Ministry will create opportunities to help kids live with morality, learn how to pray, and grow as disciples, helping children develop spiritual habits that will lead them into a deeper relationship with Christ’s Values – Faith is a journey not meant to be traveled alone. Knowing this, Children’s Ministry
• A partnership with parents in the development of their child’s faith formation • A personal, yet, public relationship with God and the Roman Catholic faith
• Authentic and accountable relationships between children, parents and adults
• Participation in the Sacramental worship of the Church
• A deeper understanding and familiarity with God’s Word
• Involvement in the local and universal church
• Using one’s time, talents, and treasure to further God’s Kingdom
• Love and service to those outside of the Catholic parish. What do you offer during Mass for children? Currently, children who have not yet made their First Holy Communion can meet with adult leaders during the 10:15 a.m. Mass at Holy Spirit parish for a fun environment for the child to worship through song/story, hear a Bible truth each week, and learn about God’s love. There is no previous sign up or payment required. Simply drop your child off with the adult leaders at the back of the church before Mass, and they will follow them downstairs. Children return during the Offertory of the Mass. What do you offer during the school year for Elementary children (grades 1-6) to go We invite your 1st-6th graders to join our faith formation program led by adult leaders, which meet Wednesdays after school from 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. at Resurrection parish. We believe that spiritual growth and faith formation happen most effectively when they happen relationally. Our faith formation program provides a safe and supportive environment where kids can have fun with their peers while they are learning about God, developing good habits for life, and growing in their relationship with Christ. One or two adults, as well as teen ministers facilitate each grade level. Our program includes a presentation of Bible stories, inspiring learning activities and conversations, and a message that is designed to reinforce faith based habits of being a disciple of Christ. Is there a cost for the after-school faith formation program? Yes. The parish underwrites many of the costs for the faith formation program, however the entire cost cannot be supported in the parish’s operating budget and it is therefore
necessary to rely on a fee. This cost includes the resources and materials to run the program. There are no additional fees, costs, or fundraiser's. Tuition for 2014-2015 is $45 for one child, $70 for two children, $80 for three children, and As always, if you have difficulty with the cost, please let us know. We would never want cost to hinder your child’s involvement in our program. We greatly value this investment in your What is involved with preparation for the Sacraments of Baptism, First Reconciliation, If you would like to have your child Baptized, please contact one of our priests at 906-863-5239. They will set up a time to meet with you and the godparents of your child (if available) for baptismal preparation. We’re happy to try and accommodate your choice of time and • First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion In order to begin the Sacramental Preparation process, a child must be at least 7 years old, and enrolled in our faith formation program or our Catholic school. Additionally, he/she must be baptized by water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Note: This may or may not have occurred in the Catholic Church). First Reconciliation precedes First Communion. Usually, a child receives his/her First Reconciliation in 2nd Grade and First Holy Communion in 3rd Grade; however, it is never too late for your child to receive his/her First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. All children enrolled in our faith formation program in preparation for First Reconciliation or First Holy Communion should attend Mass on a regular basis, attend our one-day Sacramental Preparation retreats that occurs twice a year, and complete the required Sacramental Preparation materials, presented at the retreats. Typically, First Reconciliation preparation culminates in May with our group First Reconciliation. First Holy Communion preparation culminates in June with our First How do I become more involved in Children’s Ministry? Adults wishing to serve in our after-school faith formation program must first contact the Director of Faith Formation by phone or email. Adults wishing to serve in our Children’s program during the 10:15 a.m. Mass at Holy Spirit must first contact Ann Gardiner at (906) 864-2803. It’s always possible to set-up an opportunity to test out either ministry. This opportunity is called a First Serve. After the First Serve, an adult will complete all paperwork, and undergo training. Once paperwork is completed, the applicant will be Teenagers interested in serving in a Children’s Ministry go through a similar process as adults. They contact the Director of Faith Formation, attend a first serve and then attend training. After a teen as completed the application process, they are tracked, supported and encouraged.